FINISHING THE CABIN PAGE 3
After the F-7110 plates were bent to the proper angle and the holes were drilled I cleco'd the plates to the floor panels and transferred the cutout from the floor panels to the plates via a marking pen. I then drilled a hole in each corner the same radius as the cutout in the floor panel and cut the center out on the scroll saw (below left). The photo below right shows the F-7110-L and -R on their respective floor panels.
After the F-7110 plates were completed I decided to etch, alodine, and prime all of the parts that were ready for installation to date. The photo below left shows these parts after the alodine process. I believe that there were 57 parts in all. It took me most of the day on a Saturday to complete the prep and prime of these parts. The photo below right shows the same parts after they have primed.
After the priming process, assembly work began. The first items were the seat backs. The photo below left shows the seat backs cleco'd together. The photo below right shows the seat backs riveted together except for the hinges at the bottom.
The photo below left shows the left aft seat floor after the rear hinge nutplates were installed. The right hand photo shows the right hand aft seat floor in the process of installing the aft hinge nutplates on a back riveting bucking bar. By the way, the holes in the bucking bar that look like the same pattern as nutplate holes are part of a failed experiment.
Below left is a picture of all of the baggage side panels with their nutplates installed. Below right as a photo of the flap actuator housing forward and aft channels after their nutplates were installed. See the Flap Controls - Fuselage for details of these parts.
Below left is a picture of the tunnel cover. I have decided not to use it. See the "Custom Tunnel Cover" section for details. The photo below right shows the cabin parts after I painted them "Whisper Grey" Awl Grip. This is a two part polyurethane paint. The color is the closest match that I could find to the powder coating on the steel parts in the kit.
Below left is a picture of me installing the forward and the center seat hinges on to the seat floors. I used AN426AD4-4 rivets and I back riveted them. The plans called out button head rivets. I decided to use flush head rivets for cosmetic reasons only (just a matter of personal taste). Button head rivets would have been just fine. The photo below right shows the hinges are attached to the floor panels.
The photo below left shows the seat backs attached to the floor via the hinge pins. the hinges are not limited to the seat back yet. I wanted to do a final check for clearance all around before I put the hinges on permanently (thanks for the advice Mr. Checkoway). The photo below right shows the baggage panels installed. (Note; the fuselage is still upside down.)
I am tired of describing "photos below". Let me describe "photos above" for a while. The photo above left shows one of the seat back hinges cleco'd and ready for riveting. The photo above right shows both seatback lower hinges installed.
There are two pesky little "U" channel stiffeners P/N F-6111-L and -R that are attached to the forward fuselage top skin. In the photo above left I have taped a piece of translucent plastic to the area where one of these stiffeners gets attached. In the photo above right I have drawn an outline on the plastic where the stiffener gets attached. This plastic will then be placed on the outside of the stiffener so that I can properly mark the stiffener for trimming. It is very difficult to mark this particular part for trimming by laying it in place where it goes.
In the two photos above I am in the process of marking a stiffener for proper trim. This happens to be the left hand stiffener.
The stiffeners don't just lay in the fuselage as they come. They have to be re-formed before they can be riveted in. In the picture above left you see me twisting one of the stiffeners get it to the proper shape. In the photo above right you see a stiffener twisted to its shape and ready to prime. Nowhere in the plans could I find where it told you to reshape these parts. It was a matter of common sense however. They would not fit otherwise.
The two photos above show the stiffeners temporarily installed prior to prime. The two photos below show the stiffeners primed and installed.